Friday, November 13, 2009

Lovely Links

--Now that it's getting colder, we're spending more time inside reading. The book on the right, Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever, is a yard sale find we just rediscovered. --

How the week has flown by! It seems like I just barely posted a list of helpful, frugal, and insightful links. And like last week, this weekend's links have no particular theme - just a hodgepodge of things I found interesting and then bookmarked. Enjoy!

Brown Rice Rice Pudding - Joy the Baker
(It's supposed to rain/snow here today and when I saw this recipe in my email inbox, I immediately craved it. The ingredients are wholesome, simple, and inexpensive. My kind of recipe.)

Save Money by Using Your Slow Cooker - A Year of Slow Cooking
(I've been meaning to mention this new blog I found. I'm not even sure how I came across it, but here it is. The author of this blog took on the daunting task of using her slow cooker every day for a year. Amazing. I plan to test out some of her recipes soon - I'll let you know the results. But, I thought I should let you know about it and I figured this would be a good link to start.)

PaperBackSwap
(I know I've mentioned this site before, but I just had to mention it again. I just got four books in the mail today - for free! I've been getting a lot of children's books lately from the site (I just got one today that I'm wrapping up for Christmas). Joining PaperBackSwap is free. You post books you don't want anymore, ship them at your expense to anyone that requests them, and get book credits. When you find a book you want, you use a credit, and someone sends it to you at their expense. I've posted books that I didn't think anyone would want, only to find that someone actually did! One warning: it's kind of addicting. And my wish list has over 30 books on it.)

Is Knitting Better than Prozac? - New Urban Habitat
(I came across this article this week and thought it was so interesting. Basically, studies have shown that people who are actively doing things with their hands, be it cooking, gardening, knitting, etc., have lower rates of anxiety and depression. After reading this post, my ambition to learn to sew and knit was reaffirmed. It's the one domestic art I don't know how to do. Wish me luck.)

'One for the Money'
(I read this message in pamphlet form before I was married. I remember reading it and thinking that I was going to frame my future household finances around these principles. The advice is simple and straightforward and as true today as it was when it was given over 30 years ago. If you want the pamphlet, you can get it here for free.)

"Being frugal does not mean being cheap! It means being economical and avoiding waste." -Catherine Pulsifer

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails