Saturday, December 19, 2009

Lovely Links: Weekend Before Christmas Edition

--Just a snapshot of one of our Christmas outings - visiting Santa's reindeer!--

Maybe you're more on top of things than I am. Besides neglecting my blog this week, I also procrastinated my Christmas shopping until just a few days ago (seriously, why do I do this to myself every year?) and I am going to be baking up a storm today so I can give out cookies to the neighbors. And then my husband's birthday was yesterday, so it's been a little chaotic at my house lately. But, we've still had the time to stop and enjoy the season, too. I absolutely love this time of year.

Anyway, I can make no guarantees to the regularity of my postings on this blog for the next little while or so. I mean, I might have something new on Monday, but I make no promises. But, rest assured, starting the Monday after Christmas, I will be back into my regular blogging shape. So, until then, here are some great links I've come across and bookmarked...

The Smells of the Season - Make it Do
Just found this recipe for homemade, stovetop potpourri. I've been burning the same fragrant candle for the last few weeks and I've been wanting something new. And here it is! The thing I love about this is that you can put the ingredients together and give this mixture as a gift. Love those homemade gifts.

Made with Love from Gloves - Small Notebook
One of my resolutions for next year (yes, I'm already making them) is to be more experienced with sewing, knitting, etc. I feel like I'm pretty good at just about every domestic "art" except anything related to textiles, sewing machines, and the like. So I've found yet another book to add to my ever-expanding wish list on PaperBackSwap - it's called Sock and Glove and it's all about how to change socks and gloves into cute stuffed animals for kids. I know I've got a bunch of lonely socks and gloves that are missing their companions, so this would be perfect. The nice thing is that there is a link on the Small Notebook post to a couple of the projects and, really, they don't look that hard. Maybe this sewing resolution will be fruitful after all and I make some presents for next Christmas...

Eggnog (Without Eggnog) Pancakes - Joy the Baker
I love Joy the Baker. Her blog is so much fun to read, plus she has such interesting recipes. This past summer, she had a root beer float cake on her blog - it seemed like such a summery recipe. Not only was it delicious, but it was totally unlike anything I had ever baked before. So, when I saw this recipe for eggnog pancakes, my interest was piqued. It seems like such a great yet unique Christmastime breakfast. I think it's interesting how she doesn't actually use eggnog (which is one of my favorite parts of the season. Love that stuff.), but just recreates the flavor with certain ingredients. I'm going to try this recipe soon - I'll let you know how it turns out.

It's a Handmade Christmas - Little Starling Photography
I just wanted to share this link from the winner of the book giveaway from a couple weeks ago. She had some really great insights about Hundred Dollar Holiday.

The Spirit of the Season - by Thomas S. Monson
An inspiring message of how to keep the spirit of Christmas in everything we do. For the full program that this message was a part of (a devotional full of beautiful music and spoken word), check out this link.

"The way you spend Christmas is far more important than how much." - Henry David Thoreau

1 comment:

Nisha said...

This post, once again, causes me to declare you a quintessential mom/woman. Keep blogging so you can rub off on me more.

Related Posts with Thumbnails