Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A Very Pinteresting Edition of Lovely Links

I have a new addiction. Okay, two new addictions. Make that three.

The first addiction is Pinterest. It is awesome.  If you're like me, you find all sorts of great ideas, recipes, tutorials, patterns, photos, books to read, and bits of wisdom when you're on the Internet. How do you keep track of it all?  Bookmark it? Print it off? File it away in your brain and hope to remember when the need/time arises? Not anymore. Now you can "pin" it.

When you have a Pinterest account, you can collect all the neat things you find whilst surfing the web and keep track of them. It's like a virtual corkboard. What's addicting about Pinterest is that you can see other people's boards and pins. It's amazing what other people find! I'll scroll through the popular pins on my iPod Touch while I'm feeding the baby and find the coolest/funniest/most random things. I love it!

It's kind of hard to get how useful it really is until you see and experience it yourself. You can check out my boards by clicking on the Pinterest widget in the sidebar (or you can click here). If you want to set up an account, go to Pinterest.com and request an invite. It didn't take long to get my invite after I requested it.

Why mention this on a blog about frugality?  I think it's a great way to keep track of the myriad of ways you can save money through things like cooking at home, cultivating a garden, and sewing, among many, many others. I know having a Pinterest account has helped me in this way already!

To get you started on your pinning adventures (or if you're already pinning), here are a few things I've found on Pinterest that I've either tried already or am going to try in the near future.


Lemon Sugar Cookies -- Une Gamine dans la Cuisine
These are addiction #2.  So, so good. Perfect for May, in my opinion. Try them, but consider yourself warned. It's hard to only eat one or two.

Slow Cooker Coconut Chicken Curry -- Tasty Kitchen
I made this for dinner last week. Really easy and really delicious.  Definitely part of my recipe repertoire now.

Monster Knee -- By MiekK blog
Torn knees in jeans are inevitable -- especially with boys. Usually, I'll just cut my four-year-old's jeans off above the hole and hem them into shorts, but I've been kind of stumped about repairing one pair that's lined with fleece.  Then I found this solution on Pinterest. It's so fun, I'm almost kind of glad he has a hole in his jeans. Almost. Another reason I love this post -- the blog is in a different language (German? Dutch?) and the monster says, "Klaar!"

Easy Knit Produce Bag -- delia creates
Back in the early days of this blog, I did a post about turning old t-shirts into reusable grocery bags. I love those bags -- they hold a lot, are easy to store, and are crazy-easy to make (hardly any sewing at all -- I made them back when I had my sewing machine phobia).  Anyway, I came across this post on Pinterest about making produce bags out of old t-shirts.  I was so excited to see this because I've been pretty good about using reusable grocery bags, but I was still using tons of those plastic produce bags.  Just like with the bags I made, these ones require only a tiny bit of sewing.  It's a great reuse and I'm making a bunch of them soon!

Check out Pinterest. I'll bet you'll love it. And if you're on already in on it, let me know so I can follow you!

Oh yeah, addiction #3:  It's completely unrelated to Pinterest. My baby is smiling now. Real smiles -- not just the gas-induced kind. I just can't get enough of his little, dimpled (yay!) smile.

2 comments:

Betsy Escandon said...

I heard about this one other place. Sounds like a great idea. I haven't given it a whirl yet -- still relying on my old bookmarking ways.

Krisling said...

You are gonna get me into trouble with this, I can tell. Also I have friended you on there. So, take that.

Related Posts with Thumbnails